The Beacon Conference for Student Scholars at Two-Year Colleges since 1993
The Beacon Conference was established by mostly Honors faculty to recognize, celebrate, and showcase the academic achievements of outstanding students at community colleges in the mid-Atlantic region. It is held each year on the first Friday in June, and it encompasses a wide range of disciplines.
- Students submit complete, mentored papers
- Submitted papers are ranked by professors according to the quality of scholarship and originality
- The top three papers in each category will be entered as a conference panel
- Four-year college professors serve as judges and they read the selected papers before the conference
- Student presenters are judged based on the paper (70%) and the quality of the oral presentation (30%)
- Panel winners and their mentors are recognized at the final award ceremony and each receive $100 awards.
The conference is supported by institutional membership fees, and there is no individual registration fee for the students.
New members are welcome!
Conference Submission Guidelines
Arrangements for the hotel can be accessed at www.hiexpress.com/germantownmd or at 1-800-465-4329. Please use Group Code MBC for reservations.