The Beacon Conference for Student Scholars at Two-Year Colleges since 1993
The Beacon Conference was established by mostly Honors faculty to recognize, celebrate, and showcase the academic achievements of outstanding students at community colleges in the mid-Atlantic region. It is held each year on the first Friday in June, and it encompasses a wide range of disciplines.
- Students submit complete, mentored papers
- Submitted papers are ranked by professors according to the quality of scholarship and originality
- The top three papers in each category will be entered as a conference panel
- Four-year college professors serve as judges and they read the selected papers before the conference
- Student presenters are judged based on the paper (70%) and the quality of the oral presentation (30%)
- Panel winners and their mentors are recognized at the final award ceremony and each receive $100 awards.
The conference is supported by institutional membership fees, and there is no individual registration fee for the students.
New members are welcome!
Conference Submission Guidelines