Guidelines for 2023 Poster Presenters
The 2023 Beacon Conference will take place at Rockland Community College will be located at a centeralized location on campus.
2023 Beacon Conference Poster Session Walk-Through
- Each poster presenter will have a designated area in the designated area to display their posters. Tri-fold poster boards are preferred as they work best for display.
- Conference attendees will be able to walk through and visit each display. Attendees often ask questions and engage with poster presenters about their works.
- Unlike Session I, II and III concurrent panels, the Poster Session is non-competitive and poster presentations are not evaluated by a Judge. The Poster Session format affords presenters more informal opportunity to interact with interested conference participants.
How to Design a Poster
Think of your poster as a visual version of your paper abstract or a condensed overview of your project.
Generally, your poster will be effective if it has the following characteristics:
- It provides a brief summary of your research
- It conveys your message visually
- It is readable on a computer screen
- It is clearly organized
Posters can vary significantly because of differences in discipline, research methodology, project complexity, aspects of the subject matter researched, etc. Successful posters usually include the following contents:
1. The Title of Research Project/Paper
2. The Research Question
3. The Thesis or Hypothesis
4. Background Information/Introduction
5. Main Findings/Insights
6. Conclusions/Significance of Work
7. References (for any sources used on the poster)
- Don’t crowd your material
- Help your audience focus on individual chunks of information
- Limit the number of fonts and colors
- Use a consistent font size for all text except titles or headings (larger) and references and acknowledgments (smaller)
- Use graphs or pictures if they summarize material effectively
- Provide a title or descriptive phrase for graphs or pictures
Online Poster Resources
- Visual and UX Design Principles Can Improve the Effectiveness of Poster Sessions
- How to Design an Award-Winning Conference Poster
- Poster Perfect
- How to Design an Effective Scientific Poster
- Designing Conference Posters
- The Scientist’s Guide to Poster Design